These quick, easy burritos are my go-to dinner! The tofu and avocado provide a pretty decent dose of protein, and the veggies pack a flavorful, vitamin-rich punch 🙂
What you’ll need:
- Oil, for sautéing
- 8-inch tortillas
- 1 14-oz package of extra-firm tofu
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Handful of frozen/ canned corn, if desired
- 1 cup dry rice
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegan taco seasoning
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Nutritional yeast, to taste
- Vegan sour cream, if desired
- Crushed sweet-spicy chili Doritos, if you’re feeling fancy
- Prepare the rice according to instructions. When it’s finished, add a squeeze of lime juice for a little zing!
- As the rice cooks, chop the onion and pepper and mince the garlic. Set aside ½ of the onion for the Pico de Gallo. Place into pan with oil and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers are tender. Be careful of burning your garlic!
*If you’d like to add frozen corn, do it now!
- Drain as much liquid as possible from the tofu and crumble into the pan with the veggies.
- Add taco seasoning to the tofu and stir gently (I usually use about ½ packet, but you can use more if you’d like a more intense flavor)
- Drain and rinse the black beans, and add them to the pan.
- Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Allow your filling to cook until the ingredients are hot and well-combined. In the meantime, you can work on the toppings!
For the guacamole:
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Mash thoroughly with a fork and add lime juice, salt, and garlic powder to taste.
For the Pico de Gallo:
Combine the chopped tomato and ½ of the chopped onion in a bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Build your burritos and enjoy!